Diversity and inclusion conference September 2021
‘Promoting a modern, diverse and inclusive profession’
By popular demand and following the successful event held in 2020, Leeds Law Society and the Law Society of England and Wales are again holding a free virtual diversity and inclusion conference around National Inclusion Week from 14 to 30 September 2021. With a theme of ‘Promoting a modern, diverse and inclusive profession’, the conference will consist of virtual events across six days, with pre-recorded sessions being released at the same time. Each will focus on a particular strand of diversity and inclusion:
- Mental Wellbeing – Tuesday 14 September (17.00-19.00)
- LGBTQ+ – Thursday 16 September (17.00-19.00)
- Gender – Tuesday 21 September (17.00-19.00)
- Social Mobility – Thursday 23 September (12.00-14.00)
- Disability – Tuesday 28 September (12.00-14.00)
- Race and Ethnicity – Thursday 30 September (17.00-19.00)
- Religion and Belief – pre-recorded session
- Age – pre-recorded session
- Intersectionality – pre recorded session
The events will comprise talks and panel discussions with leading figures, together with hints and tips on diversity and inclusion best practice. Confirmed speakers include Lady Hale, Lord Shinkwin and Judge Victoria McLoud, together with representatives from #10000BlackInterns, LawCare and The Bridge Group. A representative from the Law Society of England and Wales and Leeds Law Society will speak at each event with a member from either Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Liverpool or Manchester Law Societies joining the panel discussion.
The current members of the Committee are Matthew Jones, Catherine Woodward, Shanika Varga, Helen Brown, Sarah Wales and Itee Odekunle.