Help and Advice

Advice and help when you need it

Below are a number of links to organisations who offer free legal advice. You may also wish to see information on your legal rights online at which is a website run by Law for Life who aim to help people manage their legal problems.

You must put your complaint in writing to the Complaints Partner or to the Complaints Manager at the solicitor’s firm where an “in-house” complaints procedure should be followed. If you have a copy of a formal engagement letter or an information sheet provided at the outset of the work that your solicitor undertook, you should refer to this, as it should contain details of their complaints procedure. Keep copies of all the correspondence and allow 8 weeks for a response to your complaint. 

If you need advice regarding complaints or if you feel that conciliation will not provide a suitable means of dealing with your complaint, you should view the Legal Ombudsman website or contact them on 0300 555 0333. 

Citizens Advice 

The Citizens Advice Leeds helps people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice, and by influencing policymakers. Citizens Advice Leeds has offices across the city and also deliver services from many outreach locations. Click the link to find out more information or call 0808 2787878 Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm or e-mail on 

Support through Court 

Support Through Court was previously known as the Personal Support Unit (PSU) 

Based in the Leeds Combined Court Centre, The Courthouse, 1 Oxford Row, Leeds, LS1 3BG 

You can contact them either via the link above or via e-mail 

Or by phone on 0113 306 2764