Complaints against solicitors

If you are dissatisfied with the service of your solicitor, you should first put the complaint in writing to your solicitors’ firm. Leeds Law Society does not perform a regulatory function in respect of our members. 

You must put your complaint in writing to the Complaints Partner or to the Complaints Manager at the solicitor’s firm where an “in-house” complaints procedure should be followed. If you have a copy of a formal engagement letter or an information sheet provided at the outset of the work that your solicitor undertook, you should refer to this, as it should contain details of their complaints procedure. Keep copies of all the correspondence and allow 8 weeks for a response to your complaint. 

If you need advice regarding complaints or if you feel that conciliation will not provide a suitable means of dealing with your complaint, you should view the Legal Ombudsman website or contact them on 0300 555 0333. 

Complaints against barristers 

The Bar Standards Board is the official representative body for barristers. For general enquiries, please telephone 0207 242 0082. If you have a complaint against a barrister, information is available on their website here or alternatively ring their information line on 020 7611 1444

Complaints against legal executives 

Cilex Regulation is the independent regulator of members of The Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx). It oversees the education, qualification and practice standards of Chartered Legal Executives and other CILEx members and promotes proper standards of professional and personal conduct.  Visit their website here or contact them on 01234 845770